April 18,1944 7:15 a.m.

Dearest Helen:
              Good morning Helen Janice and Denny how are you all this morning? I am fine and hope all is well at home. The weather here is nice and sunny and it looks like it will be a hot day today. How is the weather there dear? I imagine that it is also getting very nice and I suppose that you will soon be getting spring fever.
   What are you doing today? We are not doing much as I have only had one fire watch of 4 hours since I have been here, yesterday I enjoyed a pleasant afternoon with a few of my buddies, Ray Diehl, and a fellow by the name of Roger Diehl, seems like all the Diehls are nice people. Ha We played horseshoe and had a very good time doing it. There are several men here that were in my old company at Sampson and it seems good as we kind of stick together and the rest of the men are good boys also. There are 60 men in our dorm and there are 4 different dorms here in this barrack making a total of 240 men in all. Bryce Briener from Decatur is here also and is also in the same draft as me so we might get to be together. I don't know what became of Bob Hathouse as he is not in our draft here. There is a possibility of getting all split up here as the boys go to all different places that call for men. So far we are just waiting and wondering where fate will take us. Hope that were even it is its not to miserable to live. 
           Just got back from breakfast we had coffee, tomato juice, bacon and eggs cereal and milk. Gee the eats are swell dear. outside of leaving to be away from home this is swell.
                 We see all kind of sailors here from all around the world. Yesterday we watched a bunch of English sailors play Rugby and Soccer. Gosh what fun games they are and they really play their hearts out in the game. Yes darling I am seeing a lot but it would still be heaven to wake up and feel you near me. Janice and Denny waking up smiling. Just think that no matter how astonishing the sights and country is my heart and mind is still and always will be with you and kiddies. Had a frightful dream last night about you dear. last night I dreamed that you were untame to me and I woke feeling alone in the world. I thank god it was only a dream. Dearest I must hasten to a close as we fall out in 5 minutes to check off our name to see that all is present.
           I shall try my best to write at least once a day darling and please do the same as I am dying to hear from you again. must close again I say I love you all more than life itself and shall be thinking of you all the while. I am yours always
                                                                    All my love,
                                                                         Daddy
            P.S. here is a big hug and kiss to all

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 19,1944 10:00 p.m

April 17,1944 4:10 a.m.

April 15,1944 9:10 a.m.